Saturday, July 01, 2006

The great baby bird rescue


As we were playing outside, Evie and I noticed a fallen bird's nest. I went over to inspect it. It was empty and I didn't see anything around, so I told Evie we could walk over and look at it. Just as we walked up, four baby bird heads popped out of the grass looking for food. Now, I've always heard that if you touch a baby bird or move its nest the parents won't come back to feed it. Last year our deck builders had to move a bird's nest that was under our old deck. They built a little shelf under the new deck and put the nest back as soon as the work was done. The owner of the company said they have to do this all the time and most of the time the parents come back. Those baby birds thrived and flew away eventually. So, protecting this new bunch from my germs with a plastic baggie on my hand, I placed the four birds back in their nest and put the nest back in the tree in what I hoped was a safe spot. They were so fragile and they kept opening their mouths for food. Not two minutes after we walked away, a robin came to the nest and starting feeding the babies!

No comments: