Friday, August 25, 2006

What's in a name?

Evelyn has decided over the past few months to add some alternate personalities to herself. She's come up with Cosmo (the out of control girl), Tud (rhymes with "good" and is goofy but not over the top) and herself. She can call herself anything she likes, and some days she doesn't talk all morning because she's being a cat and can only meow. It's a little tough figuring out what she wants to eat for breakfast those days.

But now there's a new name. Not a name for her but a name for a doll. This was my doll when I was younger and I always called her Amanda. I even told Evie this. But yesterday she started calling her Zelda. No big announcement about the name change, she just started referring to "Zelda" and we had to figure it out. I'm thrilled that her little independent self has declared a new identity for a doll she has made her own, but I'm a little sad that my doll isn't really mine anymore.

No comments: