Monday, May 07, 2007

Pretty plants

Today the kids planted the boxes they got for Easter from their grandmother. Evie had sunflower seeds and Spencer had tomatoes. The tomato seeds spilled after they were planted, so we may just be mowing them every week instead of watching them grow from their box. Evie was sad to hear that we'd have to move her sunflowers when they got too big, but 6 foot flowers just won't fit in the little 6 inch box that came with the kit.

Since we were on a roll we decided to plant our carrots and radishes, too. A friend had suggested we surround the carrots with radishes to deter rabbits. I guess the radish leaves are prickly or something. At any rate, that's what we'll try this year.

I'm also hoping to plan mini pumpkins once I get a trellis worked out. We also have zucchini seed (why?) as well as chives and lavender. I'm not really sure where to put all this stuff, especially since I have other gardening plans that I just don't have time for.

Oh, the strawberry plants the kids picked out a few weeks ago have now yielded three strawberries. These plants are pretty big, so I imagine we'll have to move them to a larger pot or the ground soon. I'm just not sure how they'll survive the winter.

The maple tree planter has some seedlings, but I have no idea if they are maple trees or weeds. I'm going to let them grow a little to find out. If we do get a bunch of trees I'm not really sure where we'll put them or what we'll do with them.

No comments: