Sunday, April 01, 2007

The first big drop off

Because of the food allergy thing, I've never dropped Spencer off at a birthday party or a play date and just left him. I always have to come so that the parent in question doesn't have to worry about administering an EpiPen should the worst happen. I don't really feel it's fair to ask someone to do that or to try to keep track of all the dietary restrictions.

Today Spencer went to a birthday party by himself. The parent is a teacher at his preschool, so she's already trained to use the EpiPens, and she gave me the gift of letting me leave him there. I brought cupcakes for him and she had fruit there, and I gave her the bag with his emergency meds. He was thrilled. She had to tell me about ten times that it would be ok.

I cried the whole way home. I think it was an anxiety attack. I knew he was in good hands, but things happen, you know? So, after I calmed down, I took a walk and then went back a little early to let him know it was time to leave.

Spencer had a fabulous time. He really didn't want to come home. I'm so glad. And it was good for me, too. Most parents have already been through this before now and I know I won't get to do it much. It's really hard letting him go to things on his own because of the potential consequences. But we did it. And it was good for both of us.

No comments: