Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Consequences

This afternoon I found chocolate frosting hidden among the stuffed animals behind the recliner in Spencer's room. This involved 4 no-nos:

1. Taking a treat-type food without asking.
2. Climbing to get the food.
3. Hiding food in a room other than the kitchen.
4. Lying about it (the kids claimed they were quietly playing with Legos)

So, Alan and I have decided a few consequences. First, the stuffed animals have been removed from the behind the chair until further notice so they can't hide things as easily back there. I'd remove the chair, too, but the door has to be removed before the chair can go and I just can't do all that on my own. Second, the box of Legos has been removed, probably for about a week, since they used the Legos as an alibi. Third, they won't get to watch their 30 minutes of TV for two days. That last one is mostly to drive home how important we think the food thing is, since it isn't the first time.

Do you think these are reasonable consequences? I'd say no treats, but they don't really get a lot of treats so it might be days before they were denied something. By then it wouldn't make any sense.

I wouldn't have figured out that they had the frosting except I found chocolate on their clothing. When I asked Evie where she got it she didn't know enough to realize that she wasn't supposed to tell me. I knew they were up to something but since I thought I had put up all the sweets I didn't think they'd be able to get any or think to try. I guess I underestimated them.

No comments: